A Jain writer expresses what it's like to live and work as one in the West. Pew Research rates the most racially diverse religious groups in America. And Alaa Murabit carries the fight forward for Muslim women in Libya and other parts of North Africa and the Middle East. It's Faithful Friday, our weekly segment on world religion. All this and more for the Pagan News Beagle!
PaganSquare is a community blog space where Pagans can discuss topics relevant to the life and spiritual practice of all Pagans.
When you're a kid, being a grownup seems very glamorous. But after the 400th toilet scrub and 7th trip to the DMV, things can start to seem a little less magical and a little more like drudgery.
...UNLESS you're proactive about it. And here are 10 ways to be just that.
1. When you're brushing your teeth, consider what a gift you're giving yourself. Think of freshly growing mint, and shimmery pearls. Remember that the mouth, in Chinese face reading, symbolizes the place where blessings and abundance enter your life, and clear the way for goodness.
2. When you're waiting in line at the bank, consider the rapid and immense flow of money that surrounds you. Soak it in and feel your energy field being drenched in the energy of affluence. Bless the money in your own account, and give thanks for it, seeing this gratitude naturally multiply it in your mind's eye.
3. When you're driving, trip out on this: you're maneuvering a huge, horseless carriage wherever you want to go. How powerful are you, sliding around paved roads at this super human speed?! It's like you're an astronaut. It's like you're living in a sci-fi novel.
4. When you're folding clothes, unabashedly inhale their freshness like a lady in a detergent commercial. Congratulate yourself for your cleaning efforts and feel that wherever you go, you are spreading fresh, sparkly light throughout your home. Fold light and love into the clothes so that whomever wears them (even if it's you) feels this glowing energy of love.
5. When you're working, no matter what type of work you are doing, remember that you can change lives and spread love simply by the energy you exude. Something as simple as an authentic smile or compliment, fueled by love and acceptance, can create lifelong, extremely positive changes within a customer or coworker that ripple out everywhere, forever.
6. When you're preparing food, think about all the glowing sunlight, fertile earth, and flowing water that went into these ingredients being here now in your kitchen. Then think about all the helpful people that contributed to harvesting, packaging, transporting, and making it available in the store. Oh, and the precious pollinators! Truly: what a miracle, this food. What an invaluable, delicious miracle.
7. When you're grocery shopping, think of a cave man or woman. Then notice that from their perspective, the grocery store is a most magical, glowing forest of edibles, all safe to eat and ripe for the picking. What an amazing, luxurious thing humans have created, this grocery store! And what a gift to be able to shop in it!
8. When you're taking a shower, remind yourself that you are in an in-between time. When you're in the shower, you can't check your email, tone your glutes, make financial decisions, or advance your career. So give up on worrying about all that stuff, and just enjoy the feeling of the water and all those negative ions literally bathing you in positive energy. Let yourself revel in the sensual pleasure of it all. After all, there's nothing else to do!
9. When you're vacuuming, aren't you in luck! What a wonderful invention, this broom that powerfully sucks everything up into a bag, making a clear and sparkling floor where before there was dust. If you have a carpet, what could be better than those lines the vacuum makes? It's like raking the sand in the Zen garden that is your home.
10. When you're sweeping your doorstep, clear the way for blessings. According to feng shui wisdom, the entrance of your home is the place where you define what type of energy enters your home. So clear the decks, sparkle it up, and let that sparkling energy flow in.
I have heard hard polytheists come up with all sorts of words to distinguish their gods from Jungian archetypes. The gods, they say, are "real", "literal", "individual", "distinct", and "separate"; they are "persons", "beings", "entities", or "agents". The archetypes, it is implied, are none of these things....
At old style sabbats, they say, the Devil would stand at the edge of the circle and whip up the dancing.
(In the mountains back East, where I come from, they say that he'd use rose canes to do this. Yikes.)
One of the few truly effective ritual initiations that I've ever witnessed was priested by one of the local dungeon daddies. Now that scourging really meant something.
Burtrand of Minnesota Church of the Wicca—the grandfather of the local pagan community—used to insist that the scourge is one of the Horned's most important, and least understood, attributes.
It’s no big revelation that the “Pagan Community” is a broad term that encompasses countless small groups that may (or may not) consider themselves “Pagan”. We all know that the term “Pagan” comes with controversy and debate, but how often do we consider the other word in the phrase?
A local community tries to convert the site of an old coal mine into a solar farm. Africa marks its first year polio free. And investigations into the declining population of land snails may reveal troubling implications about our planet's ecosystem. Here at Earthy Thursday we do our best to bring you informative and useful news about the Earth and the sciences. All this and more for the Pagan News Beagle!
Sometime ago, I dreamt that I was a giant squid playing with the other squids in the blue ocean. Wiggling my tentacles, I had fun jetting from here to there. When I woke up, I pondered what Giant Squid had wanted to tell me
While pondering my dream, I understood that Giant Squid wanted me to play more. Moreover, She came to remind me to be more flexible. With my brain injury, I have become a fixed thinker. Since it takes me a long time to do my chores, I tend to focus solely on getting them done. Giant Squid decided to enter my dreams to have me become more fluid in my waking life. She told me to zoom away from housework and go play.